The Wharton School of Business Acknowledges the Power of SaaS
The Wharton Business School, on its “Knowledge Wharton” website (highly recommended), acknowledges the power of the cloud, particularly SaaS. The article digs into both the delivery model and the changes that SaaS is driving in software pricing. It also recognizes the business challenges that traditional vendors are experiencing:
“Cloud computing is not only changing how users access software applications, it’s also upending the pricing model for software products.”
The article goes on to say,
“Meanwhile, software giants… are trying to keep up with disruptive distribution and pricing models that may threaten their lucrative way of doing business.”
Kevin Werbach, a legal studies and business ethics professor at Wharton, is of the opinion that, “The old model of selling software in a box or [through] an enterprise server license and then charging for periodic upgrades has been disrupted.” He concludes that, “It inevitably will be overtaken by Internet and cloud-based distribution.”
Saikat Chaudhuri, Wharton management professor, commented on the potential of established software giants, such as Oracle, looking at SaaS acquisitions to hedge their traditional business models in an attempt to address this changing market. According to Chaudhuri, “It’s better for you to cannibalize yourself in a controlled manner than let someone else do it and hurt you.” Acquisition may be the best strategy for these on-premise vendors as they struggle with the skills and mindset to build multi-tenant SaaS solutions to match the best in the industry.
SaaS-based IT Management Software
Discover how SaaS IT Management software can help you gain instant visibility into your assets and deliver a better IT service.
Sign up for a free trial of SAManage SaaS IT Management service.
- SUBSCRIBE TO BLOGRSS Feed
- Asset Management
- Change Management
- Enterprise IT Software
- Google Apps IT Integration
- Hardware Asset Management
- Incident Management
- Issue Management
- IT Asset Management
- IT Best Practice
- IT Contract Management
- IT Help Desk
- IT Insights
- IT Inventory Management
- IT Knowledge Base
- IT Management
- IT Management Software Features
- IT Management Software Integrations
- IT Mobile Management
- IT Security and Risk Management
- IT Self-Service
- IT Service Catalog
- IT Service Desk
- IT Service Management
- IT Social Integrations
- License Compliance
- License Management
- Press Release
- Problem Management
- Product: Samanage IT Management Software
- SaaS / On-demand IT Management Software
- Samanage Research
- Software Asset Management
MOST POPULAR POSTS
- What Does It Take to Work at an IT Help Desk?
- Service Catalogs vs. Service Portfolios: What’s the Difference?
- What's the Average Service Desk to Employee Ratio?
- The 10 Most Common Tech Support Issues
- Why Web-based Mobile Applications Beats Native Applications
- What Is IT Change Management?
- The 10 Funniest IT Memes
- The Benefits of a Successful Incident Management System
- Is It Time to Explore Gamification in IT Services?
- Help Desk vs. Service Desk: 5 Reasons You Should Know the Difference