Software usage policy
A key part of an effective Software Asset Management strategy is developing and adopting an enterprise software usage policy. A software usage policy includes definitions of authorized software for your users, how the software should be used across the enterprise, and defines usage guidelines for software including request, installation, upgrades and maintenance. Most organizations are developing and adopting software usage policies, but are challenged with managing and enforcing the policy across the enterprise.
Software usage policies are an important part of IT Asset Management and keeping your IT infrastructure secured and optimized for your business needs. Using illegal or unauthorized software creates the following risks to your business:
- Compliance risks (missing software licenses)
- Copyright infringements (as a result of downloading music/video)
- Security risks (for example, by using remote access solutions)
- Wasting network resources (for example, by using peer to peer file sharing clients)
- Loss of productivity (as a result of installing games/chat applications).
SAManage Policy Manager easily creates, adopts and enforces a software usage policy across the enterprise. You will gain instant visibility into policy compliance status, receive notifications of policy deviations such as newly installed unauthorized software, and have better control over your software license compliance.
The challenges solved by a software usage policy
- Adopt and enforce an enterprise wide software usage policy
- Monitor policy violations and take action to remove unauthorized software
- Ensuring your IT infrastructure is secured and your IT assets are optimized
The business benefit of a software usage policy
- Avoid risks to IT infrastructure and ensure its optimized for your business needs
- Reduce the legal exposure as a result of software noncompliance
- Reduce the risk of security breach as a result of un-authorized software
- Improve productivity by ensuring that your employees only use allowed software